Remove this ad

SCneophyte

Founder
Fully Fledged

Lead

11 January, 2017 06:46:14

Tags : :

At first I chalked it up to noobiness since I'm a cruel survival player but now I think it may be a 2.0 bug. 

Check out Electricity Unleashed in 1.29 versus 2.0; specifically the section on delay gates and the no delay, 0.25, 1, 5, 9 second example. 

It it works as expected in 1.29 and somewhat randomly in 2.0.  

I was building my first clock circuit in 2.0 without looking at Elec. Unleashed first to work out the logic myself and kept going crazy!  

I built a single clock circuit with a not and a programmable delay gate then added additional prog delay gates right before the light but it wasn't acting additive...

that led me to check Elect Unleashed in 2.0 which also misbehaves.  I then thought to check the same thing in 1.29 and it behaves. 

Check it it out and tell me if I'm crazy or not. 

I can post a link to a world with my circuit if it turns out to be noobiness in the end. 

Otherwise i will post the bug on his blog. 

Tjanks for reading and the assistance!
Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

Stanimus

City Founder
Old Timer

#1 [url]

11 January, 2017 15:02:19

Oh, the Adjustable Delay does NOT chain like the fixed delay and never did. At least, that's what I found. Only the fixed delays multiply like that. Is that the issue?

————————————————————
"[The future] is a place about 70 miles east of here - where it's lighter." - Laurie Anderson

Stanimus

Quote    Reply   

SCneophyte

Founder
Fully Fledged

#2 [url]

11 January, 2017 15:44:16

I thought I tried with both but I can check again. 

I didn't see it documented anywhere that adjustable gates aren't additive but I didn't check the wiki

perhaps mgblitz can update his world with a section on delay gates. 

Ill post back what I find. 

Quote    Reply   

Stanimus

City Founder
Old Timer

#4 [url]

11 January, 2017 20:50:17

I just tested them and they went ok for me. I didn't use his world but the timing still checked out for me. Three gates gives 5 seconds and each one after adds 4 seconds. What platform are you using? I have an Android.
Since the adjustable delay was introduced, I rarely use the fixed one. The only advantage I see is for (some) delays over 10 seconds long.

————————————————————
"[The future] is a place about 70 miles east of here - where it's lighter." - Laurie Anderson

Stanimus

Quote    Reply   

SCneophyte

Founder
Fully Fledged

#5 [url]

12 January, 2017 02:54:03

This is definitely a problem guys.  If only I had a screen recorder on my iOS.

So I opened SC2 to try the additive delay gates again...and they worked as expected...multiple times I tried it and it was fine.  So, in that world, I built again a simple clock circuit with a two additive gates right before the light...and all my light did was flash on and off quickly.  I then added a third light and it worked as expected...delayed the light turning on...then it started flashing quickly agian.

Then I went back to mgblitz's additive delay gates...and the crazy behavior started again.  No delay, 1 second but then the 9 second one flashed and then the five second.  I stopped to write this post up to this point and then checked it again and it worked as expected.

If I break the circuit of my clock circuit right underneath the light my light will stay on for a couple of seconds...and then flash again!

I'm not an idiot.  I'm not crazy.  This is happening!

I don't have time to troubelshoot bugs in kaalus' software and I lack the confidence and assurance of an expert...I still think maybe it's something I'm doing.

I'm on iOS byt the way.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

Stanimus

City Founder
Old Timer

#6 [url]

12 January, 2017 12:36:45

I'll keep trying to reproduce what you're seeing but, I'm suspecting now, that the problem may be even deeper than just delay gate timing. There may be internal timing and sync problems throughout the game.

I started experimenting with the locomotive design from his blog and found some weirdness. Added two more pistons to widen the train. They should be moving in sync with all the rest but sometimes they don't. The whole contraption starts moving all out of time with itself and on occasion essentially diassembled itself! See the image on this wiki page:
http://survivalcraftgame.wikia.com/wiki/Piston_Vehicles

In another world, I built a slightly long series of furniture lights all turned on by a single switch. When activated, some lights take as long as 5 seconds to come on!

I don't know if these are all related but if so, then there's potentially a game killing problem! If we can no longer trust the timing of anything, then all timed electric creations are suspect!!!

I'm using a Galaxy On5 (quad core...) for now. This should have plenty of processor power so I doubt it's a device issue.

It's a real shame Kaalus has a bad history of responding to bugs. E.g., there's still the stairs corner bug that's been there forever. I just paid for a 'New' game but still have to work around the 'Old' game's bugs!

————————————————————

Stanimus

Quote    Reply   

SCneophyte

Founder
Fully Fledged

#7 [url]

12 January, 2017 16:18:55

Yes I agree it could be a timing issue since that is common to both of our examples. 

I have an apple 5s (A7 processor) so it's not too ancient. 

Though why hasn't anyone else seen this?

Quote    Reply   

Stanimus

City Founder
Old Timer

#8 [url]

12 January, 2017 17:07:55

SCneophyte wrote:
. . .Though why hasn't anyone else seen this?

Well, for me, I always push the limits of everything I try. I said 'slightly long' series of lamps. They actually light up a 50 block long hallway. Some would call that very long.

I suspect most people stay well within a comfort zone and may not even notice a problem when it does occur. As an engineer, I'm trained to notice the littlest variances and then try to reproduce them.

————————————————————

Stanimus

Quote    Reply   

Colin Hexr

Administrator
Racial God
Old Timer

#9 [url]

27 January, 2017 12:58:14

I think SC is riddled with issues but instead of fixing them Kaalus sweeps them under the carpet and just makes it harder to notice/account it to another issue. There was the vector/shape limit issue and instead of fixing it, he just said not to do what causes it.

tl;dr We just have to deal with the issue :|

Player of the game for four years straight. Somehow an admin.

All of my maps - http://survivalcraft.lefora.com/topic/19407424?page=1#.WPtKc45ePBI

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help