Remove this ad

Th3 3l3ctroman

Apprentice

Lead

3 October, 2016 19:06:21

Tags : :

I just got a crazy idea! The electrics lovers of us could make a supercomputer together, it could have been insane. We could have built in programs like movie editing, word, different games(including subway surfers), music editing etc. What do you guys think!?

Last Edited By: Th3 3l3ctroman 3 October, 2016 19:09:00. Edited 1 time

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

Stanimus

City Founder
Old Timer

#1 [url]

4 October, 2016 13:45:15

See: http://survivalcraft.lefora.com/topic/19407121/Re-PC-in-Survival-craft?page=-1?page=-1
and: http://survivalcraft.lefora.com/topic/19406020/SurCpu-A-simple-yet-powerful-survivalcraft-CPU
and: http://survivalcraft.lefora.com/topic/19406927/Possible-4bit-computer

and then: http://survivalcraft.lefora.com/topic/19407010/Computer-Circuits

and my response to your other mention of this idea: http://survivalcraft.lefora.com/topic/19404018/Re-Time-killers?page=-1?page=-1#.V_PH4PnD9eQ

----
As an example, here's my latest attempt. This is the start of a massive ROM array:

(http://survivalcraftgame.wikia.com/wiki/File:CPU_ROM_close.jpg)

It needs to be duplicated to fill up the entire width of this space:

(http://survivalcraftgame.wikia.com/wiki/File:CPU_ROM_far.jpg)
(why does lefora have so much trouble with images?!?)

Sounds like fun?

I began this just before Kaalus announced he would implement colored wires. Since that could greatly reduce the size of complex circuits, I decided to wait for him to release the upgrade. . . . . . . . . . . . . right, that was this past spring...

————————————————————
"[The future] is a place about 70 miles east of here - where it's lighter." - Laurie Anderson

Stanimus

Last Edited By: Stanimus 4 October, 2016 15:16:13. Edited 2 times.

Quote    Reply   

Th3 3l3ctroman

Apprentice

#2 [url]

4 October, 2016 17:13:13

So the answer is yes or no?

If the answer is yes and you, me(Plus maybe som other) will start working on the computer, then i have an idea for it. I have just made a touchpad(like on real pcs) so we could have used it in the computer. 

Last Edited By: Th3 3l3ctroman 4 October, 2016 17:22:31. Edited 2 times.

Quote    Reply   

Stanimus

City Founder
Old Timer

#4 [url]

4 October, 2016 21:15:12

I have numerous questions before I'd even consider it.
Have you ever designed a computer core before? Do you know what's involved in it?
----
What architecture do you plan on using?
What op-codes will be implemented in hardware?
If some are not, do you plan on designing a command sub-processor?
Is the instruction set orthogonal?
How will it be programmed?
What will the user interface be?
Will it run high-level laguages and which?
and ... Who will do the design work?
----
Those are some of the most basic technical questions that must be answered even before beginning the design. Questions regarding implementation could be
---
How will the world be shared?
How will design questions be resolved?
How will the design specs be generated - and shared?
How does a builder know what s/he should build?
---
If you looked over the link to my computer circuits topic, you would see that I've already dsigned most of the components needed in a core design. Some things are still missing but the biggest design question is what will the user interface be and how will it connect? The biggest intellectual hurdle is connecting them all together so they work as expected. The biggest implementation headache is simply the time required - to duplicate a circuit thousands of times over, as an example. Are YOU willing to build the same circuit thousands of times over, and guarantee there's not a single mistake???

————————————————————
"[The future] is a place about 70 miles east of here - where it's lighter." - Laurie Anderson

Stanimus

Quote    Reply   

Edvssj

Apprentice

#5 [url]

5 October, 2016 08:21:57

I like the idea, I'm in and I have an idea how it can work for the user. We start with a code of four or six numbers. When we have unlocked the computer there will appear two pictures. One picture is "on" in 1.30 seconds(using SR latch were reset input is powered after 1.30s. When that is reset the other activates) When that is done you will come to the menu - where it is three possibilities to choose between: Apps, Clock and user help. To choose the one you want, you use the touchpad that th3 3l3ctroman made. And then to when you click in to one of the programs:

Apps: As you said longer up th3 3l3ctroman, we could have music, video editing, word and games. I agree that we need that stuff but we still need more like calculator and a helping program for binary counting, many people dont understand that.

clock: When you chooses clock from the menu, I think there should appear a digital clock on the screen that is possible to set and always goes. I'm not sure but maybe there should be a stopwatch there too, but it is not the most important part.

User help: You will come to a full page of text. (I think there should be space for up to 24 letters per page). If we uses a keyboard with a "next" and "previous" button we can just use them. We have to make an 8-bit counter to make this work because we will not get any information if we only have 16 pages. Using an 8-bit counter we can go from page 16-17 and from 17-16. That is because of that with standard two 4-bit counters, with an overflow output going to the +input of the other then, when you tryes to go from 17-16 you will go from 17 to about 30.

Last Edited By: Edvssj 5 October, 2016 08:29:17. Edited 1 time.

Quote    Reply   

Th3 3l3ctroman

Apprentice

#6 [url]

5 October, 2016 08:48:51

The menu idea is nice. And I think I know how to make a good program card. I am using a counter that resets at the end of our programs list(That would be 3 in the menu because 0 is apps, 1 is clock and 2 is user help) To count on it we are using an AND gate that have to be powered by the computer(that it is unlocked and started) and my touchpad. To enter we are making an enter button on the keyboard. I can post you an image of my keyboard idea later. I can start building now

Last Edited By: Th3 3l3ctroman 5 October, 2016 08:50:52. Edited 1 time.

Quote    Reply   

Edvssj

Apprentice

#7 [url]

5 October, 2016 08:52:33

Nice! Just start building...

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

Th3 3l3ctroman

Apprentice

#8 [url]

19 October, 2016 16:20:47

I have some big news! The computer we are Working on will support DISC READING. That means some programs Can only be startet if the right disc is inserted. If you have a game or program that you want the computer to support, plz write it in a comment. Write what the game is called and a link to the world where it is built.

Quote    Reply   

Stanimus

City Founder
Old Timer

#9 [url]

20 October, 2016 03:11:07

Can't wait to see it !

————————————————————

Stanimus

Quote    Reply   

Th3 3l3ctroman

Apprentice

#10 [url]

20 October, 2016 12:46:25

Sorry can't give you any pictures before it's done, but the reader is BIG. And you maybe read earlier where Edvssj wrote the three alternatives at the start menu: Clock, apps and user help, I think I change that to apps, user help and disc reader.

Last Edited By: Th3 3l3ctroman 20 October, 2016 14:57:36. Edited 1 time.

Quote    Reply   

Stanimus

City Founder
Old Timer

#11 [url]

10 December, 2016 15:19:12

...anything yet?...
well . . . ? ? ?
No? I guess I'm calling bull-drops on this one. Pretends to post a picture of something that doesn't exist. (There is no picture.) Talks big on something he has no clue about doing. Never shows a thing then disappears.

At best this would be like that 'real working cell phone' map I saw before, which was nothing but pixel art.

C'mon, faker, prove me wrong!

————————————————————

Stanimus

Last Edited By: Stanimus 10 December, 2016 15:30:15. Edited 1 time.

Quote    Reply   

Stanimus

City Founder
Old Timer

#13 [url]

20 March, 2017 01:59:32

I would get back to mine except I've noticed some weird timing issues in other circuits. That, along with the worsening complexity bug worries me enough to make me hesitant about such a big project.

————————————————————

Stanimus

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help