Tags : : , , , , , , , , , , ,

Survivalcraft Computer
---
Tech-Specs

CPU: 8-bit 2-core about 20 hz
RAM: 2-8 kB
Storage type: SSD
Storage space: 64 kB
Screen: 2-8 fps. 16:9 format. 32x18 resolution (576 pixels) Color Screen (New 1-LED blocks in 2.1 update)
Keyboard: Modified QWERTY
Touch-Pad: Big Touch-Pad with support for left, right, up, down. Size is 2x4.
GPU: 1-4 GB Memory
Sound: Dual Speaker
---
Built-in Programs:

•Calculator. Uses an ALU that supports 8-bit Addition and Subtraction, and 4-bit multiplication and division.
•System. Will control the system, and work as a control center.
•Text. Program for writing.
•Use. Acts as an activity monitor and will tell you how much RAM is in use, how much CPU-power is used, what CPU-cores is in use etc.
•Photos. Photos will be your image library, where you can find all of your screenshots.
•Video editing. This is where you make movies that can be shown in "Movie"
•Movie. The Movie-application is where you watch the videos you make in "Video Editing"
•Music. This is where you make music.
•Listen. Listen is the application used for listening to music you have made in "Music"
If anyone that makes games want it, their games could be modified to fit in the computer, so that they can be played. If you have an other application than a game, that's also great.
---
Operating System:

I am currently working on my own operating system for the computer. Because the CPU is multicored, it will most likely be possible to use two programs at the same time - Multitasking! The OS don't currently have a name, but if anyone has an idea, it would be great. Here is how the UI with it will be:

When the power-button is hit, the computer will boot. While it is booting, it will show EDVSSJ on the screen and also a loading symbol.
When booted up, you will come to a meny where you have three choises (Each on its own line, and you use your touch-pad to control which you will open). These are "Apps", "System" and "Power". If you click apps, you will come to a page where you can choose one of your apps to open, by going between pages for each application. By choosing system, you will launch the system application, which is the one where you can control your system. By pressing power, you will turn off your computer.

I know this looks a little, ehhhh simple, but it is hard to make a super great interface when the screen almost can't be bigger than 32x18 pixels to have an okey framerate (Bigger Screen = More pixels to update)

Last Edited By: Edvssj 19 July, 2017 22:13:22. Edited 10 times

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

Stanimus

City Founder
Old Timer

#1 [url]

30 August, 2016 23:03:25

Well...good luck! It sounds like you've put a little thought into this idea.

I have just one question: do you REALLY know what you're getting yourself into? (Have you designed a computer core before???)
Actually, I could ask many other questions but they all come down to that first one...
See the several other attempts at this, in the electrics section of this forum.

————————————————————
"[The future] is a place about 70 miles east of here - where it's lighter." - Laurie Anderson

Stanimus

Quote    Reply   

Edvssj

Apprentice

#4 [url]

1 September, 2016 13:06:12

I know it will be hard to build but I have some ideas. I am working with the ALU now. I am done with programs card and turning on/off process. I'm done with the dice program(really simple) so we will see!

Last Edited By: Edvssj 5 September, 2016 13:38:04. Edited 1 time.

Quote    Reply   

Edvssj

Apprentice

#6 [url]

11 September, 2016 12:10:12

I will add a small multiplication part to the alu, do you think max 9x9 or 99x99

Last Edited By: Edvssj 18 September, 2016 17:27:02. Edited 2 times.

Quote    Reply   

Edvssj

Apprentice

#7 [url]

17 September, 2016 14:35:28

I decided to add a word program to this PC. I call it text. There will not be to much memory of it because it is hard to make but I can try. I think there will be about 5 letters per line and 3 lines. If you want me to add anything to the program plz tell me. Click the link to see what letters, numbers etc. I decided to have in my program. I'm sorry for the graphics but it is not possible to make better.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/qzdh1qnvzeazvm5/Bilde%2018.09.2016%2C%2010.57.15.jpg?dl=0

Last Edited By: Edvssj 18 September, 2016 09:00:20. Edited 1 time.

Quote    Reply   

Stanimus

City Founder
Old Timer

#10 [url]

26 September, 2016 19:16:06

Don't be so hasty - at least one person is still rooting for - me! I'm sure there's more but there's so little activity here that most don't check in very often. They are likely just waiting and hoping you succeed.

————————————————————
"[The future] is a place about 70 miles east of here - where it's lighter." - Laurie Anderson

Stanimus

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

Edvssj

Apprentice

#11 [url]

19 November, 2016 23:21:51

I quitted this project so i could make a computer together with th3 3l3ctroman, but it doesnt look like he is still active so i just continue my computer instead. I will change some things. I will add th3 3l3ctromans disc reader technologies and i will add apples new touch bar technologies. I will also change the whole way you ise the computer: It will have QWERTY keyboard, and a menu with to choices: APPS and DISC. So if you care about this, fine. But if not, okay, i will build it anyway.

Last Edited By: Edvssj 23 November, 2016 19:05:00. Edited 1 time.

Quote    Reply   

Edvssj

Apprentice

#13 [url]

4 December, 2016 17:38:05

Hey, thank you. I am not sure when it will be done, but i have already built some of the most important parts. Sorry but we have to wait and see!

Quote    Reply   

Edvssj

Apprentice

#15 [url]

21 June, 2017 12:50:55

Just a little update (If someone cares):

SSD is completed. It will offer 64 kB of storage space (256*4-bit data is stored in every memory bank)
RAM is under construction. It will likely have a size of 2-8 kB.
CPU is under construction. It will operate with 8-bit data.
Keyboard design is completed.
Decoder for data from keyboard that "tells" the CPU what button is clicked, is completed.
BIG touch-plate is completed.
I am working on the design for the sound processing unit. It will control two speakers.
The GPU is under the design process, and i am always getting new ideas, for both the GPU and the screen.

Quote    Reply   

Stanimus

City Founder
Old Timer

#16 [url]

22 June, 2017 02:04:56

I care, even if noone else does. I've been slowly working towards something similar. What kind of architecture are you considering for the processor?

————————————————————

Stanimus

Quote    Reply   

Colin Hexr

Administrator
Racial God
Old Timer

#17 [url]

22 June, 2017 09:12:55

I do care I guess. I can't be arsed to do actual work myself, but if this ever gets completed it'll be fun to mess around with.

Player of the game for four years straight. Somehow an admin.

All of my maps - http://survivalcraft.lefora.com/topic/19407424?page=1#.WPtKc45ePBI

Quote    Reply   

Stanimus

City Founder
Old Timer

#18 [url]

22 June, 2017 11:36:24

Well, he'll still have to publish the machine code instructions list, memory map, etc and whoever wants to 'play' will have to learn to program it...

————————————————————

Stanimus

Quote    Reply   

Edvssj

Apprentice

#19 [url]

25 June, 2017 15:39:30

If you mean tutorials on how to work with it, ill post them when i am done, because as i said in my last post about GPU and screen, i am still getting new ideas, but that also means the CPU design and SSD. The SSD is completed but Im still upgrading it to make faster writing and reading, for more smooth computer performance. That is the reason i cant help you with tutorials yet.

Last Edited By: Edvssj 25 June, 2017 16:38:23. Edited 1 time.

Quote    Reply   

Stanimus

City Founder
Old Timer

#20 [url]

25 June, 2017 18:41:06

Hehe, that's always a problem in the design phase - feature creep! We never finish unless the design is frozen at some point...
Have you settled on an architecture yet? Von Neumann or Harvard? Stack or registered?

————————————————————

Stanimus

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help