Remove this ad

Stanimus

City Founder
Old Timer

Lead

11 April, 2016 22:36:22

Tags : : , , , , , ,

I will be detailing a number of more complex circuits on the wiki. Most will be useable in computer circuits but can be valuable in other situations as well. Perhaps this will get at least one of us across the finish line with a working computer simulation!

I will also be updating a world with these circuits as I go along. I will use box.net because it lets me update the file without having to change the blasted name every time!
Computing Circuits World
If you really want a dropbox link, let me know but I will NOT keep it up to date with every new revision, for the reason above.

Links will be placed here to provide a central place to find these circuits.

The full 16 bit add/subtract module, here: http://survivalcraft.lefora.com/topic/19407432/Full-16-bit-adder

RAM circuits for reads and writes over a data bus

Details on using the Memory Bank's clock input to Read and Write

Memory Arrays up to 64K bytes are shown

An up/down counter with preset and bus-based capability

A FULL adder than can be chained for any data width

Multiplexers can connect sub-circuits to a data bus

4-bit ALU (without math)

2 operand Boolean comparison

Latches and Registers

The counter article now has a complete, chainable, up/down, presettable counter module
This counter may be used as a fully functional stack pointer or program counter. It can be chained to any length and is quite fast (depends on the length).

An advanced page on how to use the Memory Bank as a general-purpose Progrmmable Logic Device and how to develop the program from formula or a schematic.
I need to figure out how to get wikitext to display the matrices properly... Sorry about that.

The 64kB RAM

Here's an image of a hyper-functional Program Counter:

I say "hyper-functional" because it provides much more functionality than a typical PC. It is possible to provide unconventional addressing modes and even allows reprogramming of the PC functionality.
The latched instruction address is output on the right. It connects to the system data bus on the bottom. The left side connects to the return stack. It accepts a 4 bit control function at the front. The maximum delay from function/data/return stack change, to output latch is only 6 ticks.

Last Edited By: Stanimus 25 June, 2017 15:02:39. Edited 13 times

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

Stanimus

City Founder
Old Timer

#2 [url]

12 April, 2016 20:58:52

Thanks. Not all of that is new. I built the 64K byte ROM many months ago, knowing that I'd probably never use it and I certainly did NOT want to build it over again. Over 1,000 mamory banks!!! What was I thinking? Oh, ya. I had a LOT of time on my hands, then. LOL

Lately problems have been slow on the wiki and that's freed up my available time to advance things rather than just maintaining them. Plus, I have over 300 days in my latest CRUEL world and it's getting boring. Perhaps I'll actually be able to finish one of my many bigger builds, now. Maybe, maybe even a working computer. From what I've seen so far, ANY computer in Survivalcraft will blow away anything they can make at 'the other place'. haha And the design I'm trying to work out will take full advantage of the amazing memory banks. Even real computer designers would be jealous to have the equivalent at their disposal!

I'm hoping a serious editor program will soon be available so we can cut and paste circuits to make it easier to actually build a computer core into something useable!!! (...patiently waiting, Tipam...)

————————————————————
"[The future] is a place about 70 miles east of here - where it's lighter." - Laurie Anderson

Stanimus

Quote    Reply   

Stanimus

City Founder
Old Timer

#4 [url]

14 April, 2016 23:28:43

Ya, me too. Another thing I'm working on is a big 'LCD' using the 4-leds with a memory array for ascii input and a built-in decoder and drive circuit. Want it for I/O for the computer but want to do them separately, then cut/paste as needed. With 7x9 characters in a 4-line by 32 character display, it's gonna be HUGE! But how else can you enter and debug programs for the computer? A real display device would be oh, so grand but probably just a pipe dream...

————————————————————
"[The future] is a place about 70 miles east of here - where it's lighter." - Laurie Anderson

Stanimus

Quote    Reply   

Stanimus

City Founder
Old Timer

#6 [url]

15 April, 2016 20:47:18

All LCDs have dots - that's your resolution density specification (dpi). Put a magnifying glass up to your screen...Only vector-graphic screens had 'no' dots.

————————————————————

Stanimus

Quote    Reply   

Stanimus

City Founder
Old Timer

#8 [url]

16 April, 2016 20:12:13

Well, the best it could be is b/w and not even greys - perhaps... And you'd have to be pretty far away to view it all at once but it could be used to program and debug a simple system and that's probably all we can expect (for now). And editing with only a 4 line x 32 character display is no joy - ugh.

————————————————————

Stanimus

Quote    Reply   

Electricwizard

Hunter
Fully Fledged

#9 [url]

17 April, 2016 02:20:28

I wish Kaalus

Would care more about electrics then he does changing sprites for pumpkins and making Christmas trees.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

Stanimus

City Founder
Old Timer

#10 [url]

18 April, 2016 00:25:29

latches, ram

I just uploaded pix for my next pages in the wiki: http://survivalcraftgame.wikia.com/wiki/Special:Images
There'll be a page on latches and registers and one on building RAM arrays. When I can but the pix are there.

————————————————————

Stanimus

Quote    Reply   

Stanimus

City Founder
Old Timer

#12 [url]

19 April, 2016 21:40:23

Thanks. I'll keep them coming as long as I have the will, time and material. I suspect that I'm kind of providing a free computer design course but that's OK. Some of the things we can do here make it easier than doing it in real life!!! Plus, we need SOMEONE to complete a computer in Survivalcraft, even just to prove how much better it can be done in SC! Whether it's me or someone else, it doesn't matter. I'll get mine in eventually and I have some unique and perhaps radical ideas (which I won't be disclosing any time soon...)

————————————————————

Stanimus

Quote    Reply   

Stanimus

City Founder
Old Timer

#14 [url]

20 April, 2016 19:50:41

I'll see that yep and raise ya one 'hoo, ya'!
I'm working (on- and off-line) on some more articles - getting ever closer to having everything we need for a computer. But I want to take a short side-step, too. As I'm doing all this, I'm realizing the solution to some problems I was having in other designs. Particularly the Scrolling Graphics Display. I implemented an 8-bit adder in a very difficult manner and want to correct that and get the display running first before I build more on the computer. I'm also hoping that by the time that's done, Kaalus will have 1.30 out and I can use COLORED WIRES to make the computer so compact the MC'ers will refuse to believe it's real!

BTW, the latch/register page should be done now. And I think I found a glaring error on the Memory Bank page. (facepalm!) That'll be corrected asap, once I verify it. Sorry all!

————————————————————

Stanimus

Last Edited By: Stanimus 20 April, 2016 20:12:34. Edited 1 time.

Quote    Reply   

Iloverealism

Survivor
Apprentice

#17 [url]

8 August, 2016 08:13:25

As of the furniture tutorials shown, I really wonder... Can we have modular circuits that can pass electric signals to one another in the shrinked version if they are of the same resolution as the other counterparts ? That way computers in SC can become WAYYY more smaller and compact and doesnt waste space and can be put into homes.

This is my idea, since the maximum shrinkage is 16 by 16 by 16 blocks, parts of the soon to be computer can be built as modules in the 16 block area. Things like the ALU and registers and cache can be built separately and when hit with the hammer, shrinks and if Kaalus is really planning to make electric signals to pass through modules with the same resolution, we can REALLY save alot of space. The things like memory and Ram expansion modules can be placed at its respective ports... ooooohhhh.
Things like the LCD screens would be even more high definitioned, we can literally have a graphical user interface...

But still, all this details might be what he is trying to code in to the game as I know he is a pretty smart guy since his own little rant about advertising.

Everybody, please give Kaalus more time as things like this are not an easy feat to accomplish. And if this is really sucessful, it proves that SC is original and the feats that minecraft could not accomplish and only dream about can only be found here.

Have a nice day for reading my long story.

P.S. Can someone give a name to this ingame IT company if it all goes well ?

Quote    Reply   

Stanimus

City Founder
Old Timer

#18 [url]

8 August, 2016 20:38:24

LOL - I didn't think of it as an in-game IT company! NICE

Kaalus posted a list of blocks that may be used in the 'shrink process' and electrical items were NOT on it, unfortunately. IF and when he releases this upgrade, it will most certainly show that SC is unique, but it is definitely NOT original, still.

(And his little rant on advertising has actually DECREASED my estimation of his intelligence - especially along with his lack of knowledge of the true history and implications of orthographic labeling shown in his previous off-topic post...)

All of that being said, your post is OFF-TOPIC and really does not belong in this thread.

————————————————————

Stanimus

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help