Remove this ad

gdmt

Forager
Full Fledged

#21 [url]

9 May, 2013 09:12:59

Aight got it! You definitely helped me a lot. Cant wait to play around with the circuits when i get home.

Expect some future questiona from me though lol

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

xtremeenduro

Survivalist
Full Fledged

#22 [url]

9 May, 2013 18:26:21

can't help wondering:

can't you essentially create an OR gate by connecting 2 inputs in a T-fashion without any gate at all?
    U
    |
_____
|       |
O     O

o is input, such as switches, and U is output, such as lightbulb.

granted, this wouldn't prevent backflow on more complicated devices, but isn't the OR gate somewhat redundant?

Quote    Reply   

ritehunter

Founder
Ancestor

#23 [url]

10 May, 2013 06:30:48

Ah. Wonderful question. Yes. 
You can connect two inputs as a simple Or Gate. 

However, No. It does not make the Or Gate redundant.
Well, it sorta does but only if you have simple circuits like the one you showed me.
If the circuit is more complex. The Or gate will prevent back flow like you said.
And in complex circuits, having back flow is a horrible thing.
You can also utilize the fact that you only need to give one signal to the Or Gate to make it give off a signal.

I mean, you can also use it as a redirector and a L-shaped insulator.
The best example of Or Gates at their best is at most of the Elevator designs. Preventing back flow.

So all in all, the Or gate is redundant but only if the circuit does not have something special for one or both of the inputs. And in that case, the Or Gate is the best gate to use.

Quote    Reply   

xtremeenduro

Survivalist
Full Fledged

#24 [url]

13 May, 2013 16:30:39

Could you post a guide about creating other gates based on what we have now? for example, you can create a NOR gate with 2 NOT gates and an AND gate.
-I--N--\
          A----O-
-I--N--/
I is input, N is NOT gate, A is AND gate, and O is output.

Quote    Reply   

ritehunter

Founder
Ancestor

#25 [url]

14 May, 2013 01:45:59

Got it. I will make a seperate topic for that though. 
People will have a hard time reading the entire guide if I put it here.

Quote    Reply   

sulya

Baby Digger

#27 [url]

16 May, 2013 16:41:04

I also want to participate in this great guide, if I might...
What I wanted to post is some tips and tricks, more specific- using some gates as wires to minimise the circuits.

Here, common situation- your lines are crossing

If you have extra space you can move your lines further from each other, but it's not possible every time

Instead of that you can use delay gates...

...or multiple times NOT gates (as long as there's odd number of them or you just don't care)

you can also use OR gates to prevent lines from crossing while making 90-degree turn. You can even place them next to each other, as their inputs won't connect and/or affect anything

Quote    Reply   

ritehunter

Founder
Ancestor

#28 [url]

17 May, 2013 03:19:04

Awesome Sulya. Thise techniques can be dubbed as "Insulators" since they don't make the wires connect to each other.
I am a fan of the even Not gate insulator though. Because it is a bit more convenient but they can be prone to problems if wired incorrectly.

You may contribute Sulya, in fact, anyone can contribute to the guide anyway.
It makes me happy to see someone else show their knowledge in electronics.

Quote    Reply   

xtremeenduro

Survivalist
Full Fledged

#29 [url]

20 May, 2013 21:04:29

Also, don't forget that any gate can be used as a backflow preventer. I accidently created a door open-close pulser, because of backflow, which was solved by a simple OR gate. i could have also used 2 NOT gates in a row, an XOR gate, or a delay gate (sacrificing one tick)

Quote    Reply   

jandreii

Newb

#30 [url]

24 May, 2013 07:01:35

I hope there's alot more gates on the next update :) is it possible?

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

voidghoul

Administrator
Founder
Ancestor

#35 [url]

21 July, 2013 02:04:42

Okay so I have a question on how to make a specific mechanism(s).

You see, I am currently creating a map and it requires me to make a mechanism for when players cross a specific one way path. I have rigged it (on both sides) so that it'll say a text, but I want it so that when a player crosses one side the other side isn't allowed to say the text when they walk over its trigger (both texts are the same).

I also need a mechanism (I have attempted to do this) that can say different texts in an timed order. Sort of how characters in a game would speak.

Mind sharing some advice on how to do these?

- -V

Administrator of Survivalcraft Forums, vanquisher of werewolves, eater of cows.

-Feel free to message me if you need assistance.

Quote    Reply   

mgblitz81

Survivalist
Ancestor

#36 [url]

21 July, 2013 03:12:17

That should be easy if I'm understanding what you are asking...

Wire both sides together and then run a wire out from this circuit to the 's' input on an Sr latch. From the output run a wire to the sign with your text.

As for the speaking character mechanism, just run a wire from a pressure plate to a sign, then continue the circuit past the sign and add 3 delay gates, then another sign. Repeat this process for as many signs you need. Each sign will be displayed for 5 seconds before the next sign is displayed.

____________________________________________________________________________________
For a complete list of all my electric projects, videogames, and tutorials click on this link:
http://survivalcraft.lefora.com/topic/19405016/Electrical-Projects-Videogames-Tutorials-Showcase-Thread

Quote    Reply   

voidghoul

Administrator
Founder
Ancestor

#37 [url]

21 July, 2013 22:07:12

@mgblitz81

Thank you. I'll try this and see the results.

- -V

Quote    Reply   

voidghoul

Administrator
Founder
Ancestor

#38 [url]

21 July, 2013 23:45:53

@mgblitz81

for the 1st mechanism:

I didn't say it correctly. You gave me a mechanism that once the text pops up (when stepping on either pressure plates on each side) it doesn't come back if you step on either pressure plates again, which I do not need but thank you for it.

I need a mechanism that works kind of like a double tap on pressure plates, or something like that. I need it to work like this:

-The player steps on the pressure plate of the left side, making a text pop up called, "Road A."

-The player travels to the other side and steps on that side's pressure plate, but no text pops up.

-The player is returning back and steps on the right side's pressure plate, and the same text pops up (Road A).

-The player travels to the other side and no text pops up.

So basically every odd number of times you pass on the pressure plates in the mechanism you will get the text, or it can also be every even number of times you pass on them you get the text.

Any idea how to do it? or if it's even possible?

- -V

Quote    Reply   

mgblitz81

Survivalist
Ancestor

#39 [url]

22 July, 2013 02:05:16

Oh gotcha...

Ok... Use the same circuit. But run a wire out from the line that connects the Sr latch to the sign and add delay gates. Four consecutive delay gates will give you 25 seconds of wait time. Then run that wire back into the Sr latch on the 'r' side. This is not a percise method but it will work fine if there is a significant amount of time inbetween the time it takes the player to navigate your map the long way vs just going over to road b, after coming from road a. You can add as many delay gates as you need to accomplish this. Just make it long enough that when the player triggers road a, the Sr latch doesn't reset before the player has had time to take the short path to road b.

If this isn't precise enough, I can make a tutorial world for you and show you a better way. But I don't have the time at the.moment.

____________________________________________________________________________________
For a complete list of all my electric projects, videogames, and tutorials click on this link:
http://survivalcraft.lefora.com/topic/19405016/Electrical-Projects-Videogames-Tutorials-Showcase-Thread

Quote    Reply   

voidghoul

Administrator
Founder
Ancestor

#40 [url]

22 July, 2013 02:56:35

@mgblitz81

That will not be required, I got it now. Thank you for your services and don't run too far away, I might need you in the future.

- -V

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help